3/4/2019: Kent Walking Football League 2018-19. Summary of BCS Results and Reports.

BayCity Strollers – 50+ Kent Walking Football League squad


Lawrence Hall Daniels

Steve Woodward

Rob Rae (Captain)

Jim Dobson

Ian Syrett

Martin Millbank

Colin Johnson

Kevin Joyce

Nigel Robson

Bruce Gowland

Peter Cadogan

Chris Le Corney

Pete Candy

Paul Lythe

Michael Farlam

Steve Earle

Nigel Brett



BCS vs Dover – 11th October 2018

Score: 3-3

Scorers: Rob, Ian, Martin

Squad: Lawrence, Ian, Rob, Martin, Kevin, Colin, Jim, Steve, Nigel, Chris


First game of the new season and a good turnout for BayCity Strollers. A hard-fought match which ebbed and flowed like the mighty Stour, which runs alongside the BayPoint Arena, home ground of the Strollers. Goals from our Captain Rob, Martin and debutant Ian saw the game end in a draw and the season start with 1 point in the bag.


Folkestone vs BCS – 1st November

Score: 7-7

Scorers: Peter Cadogan (2), Rob, Bruce, Kevin (3)

Squad: Steve, Rob, Peter Cadogan, Colin, Bruce, Kevin


If ever there was a game of two halves, this was it !

Playing in the unfamiliar and hot environment that is Folkestone Sports Centre and also having to adapt to playing with a Futsal ball, BCS took control of the first half, playing some good decisive football and taking a commanding 3 nil lead, only for Folkestone to peg one back with the last kick of the half, So, 3-1 at half time and it’s warming up, literally !

In the second half, Folkestone began to make their experience of both the pitch and the ball count to their advantage. Making good use of their subs also kept them fresher as they began to take control. BCS managed to get the score to 5-2 before Folkestone applied the pressure to get themselves 7-6 in front. With just seconds remaining the Ref blew for an infringement by the Folkestone goalkeeper and up stepped Peter Cadogan to fire in the equaliser. So you could say that Folkestone won the second half 6-4 but as we all know, it’s a game of two halves and 7-7 was probably a fair result given that BCS battled bravely for the full 40 minutes with no subs.

Two games played and still unbeaten but a win would be nice in the next game !


BCS vs Herne Bay – 23rd November

Score: 1-2

Scorers: Martin

Squad: Lawrence, Steve, Rob, Jim, Colin, Kevin, Paul, Pete Candy, Ian


Another home game for the Strollers and never an easy game against the League champions. BCS took a well-deserved lead in the first half after dominating the early stages of the game with a cracking goal from Martin. The momentum was with the Strollers but an unfortunate injury to Goalkeeper Lawrence dented the confidence and Herne Bay fought back strongly and equalised just before half-time. The second half was more even but eventually Herne Bay found a way to get that all important second goal and despite applying some pressure in the last few minutes, BCS were unable to find an equaliser. 


Margate Old Gaters vs BCS – 6th December

Score: 1-4

Scorers: Kevin, Bruce, Pete Candy, Nigel

Squad: Steve, Bruce, Jim, Colin, Kevin, Pete Candy, Nigel


A cold, wet and windy night at the imposing cages at Hartsdown Park saw BCS up against the Margate Old Gaters. This was a cracking game from the Strollers who dominated throughout. Some firm but fair refereeing saw running of any sought being penalised and for a few minutes in the second half, BCS were down to 4 outfield players but they held firm and ran out worthy winners with goals from Captain Kevin, Bruce, Pete Candy and a stunning debut goal from Nigel.


Dover vs BCS – 10th December

Score: 3-2

Scorers: Pete Candy (2)

Squad: Steve, Rob, Martin, Bruce, Kevin, Pete Candy, Ian, Jim


The return fixture against Dover was played on the lush surface that is Aylesham Sports Centre. Again BCS started strongly and took an early lead with a goal from Peter Candy. The Strollers were playing well and controlling the game but with almost the last kick of the first half, Dover equalised, squeezing a shot in at the near post. BCS were slow out of the blocks in the second half and seemed to lose shape and purpose. Despite some brave saves from Steve, Dover scored two more and BCS were rocking. A late rally saw another goal from Pete Candy but it wasn’t enough and Dover were victorious.  


BCS vs Margate Old Gaters – 23rd January

Score: 6-2

Scorers: Ian (3), Chris (3)

Squad: Steve, Rob, Jim, Colin, Kevin, Pete Candy, Ian, Peter Cadogan, Martin, Chris


On a cold and damp night at the BayPoint Arena BCS had a strong squad out for the rematch against local rivals Margate Old Gaters. Despite a positive start and dominating the early play, the Strollers found themselves 2 goals down, from a fierce shot low in to the corner that Steve had no chance with and a controversial goal that Steve got his hand to but saw the ball drop in to the net. Was it over head height though?


Just before the half-time whistle blew, Chris scored a cracking goal at the near post so 1-2 at the break and all to play for.


With a large squad in attendance, Captain Rob was able to make great use of his substitutes to keep fresh legs on the pitch and the positive play soon resulted in an equalising goal taken well by Ian. The relief at getting back to all square was palpable and from then on the Strollers took control of the game. Hat-tricks from both Ian and Chris saw BCS comfortable winners in the end.  


BCS vs Margate Old Blues – 30th January

Score: 2-1

Scorers: Bruce, Michael

Squad: Steve, Rob, Jim, Kevin, Pete Candy, Ian, Martin, Chris, Bruce, Michael


On the coldest night of the year, BayPoint Arena was glistening with a thin layer of frost but despite the cold, BCS again had a great turnout and another strong squad for this match against new opponents, Margate Old Blues.


The first half was a fairly even affair with both sides getting plenty of shots on goal but neither keeper being really troubled. BCS seemed to be rushing at everything they were doing, probably just trying to keep warm but a cool, calm head is what was needed to find the killer pass or the net-busting shot.


There was no hot Bovril at half time and BCS started the second half in a stupor, losing some shape and allowing the Old Blues to find some space in the middle of the park. This eventually led to a breakaway for Margate which saw their striker with a one-on-one with keeper Steve – Steve lost!


BCS were 1 down and not looking threatening so Captain Rob made two substitutions, bringing on Bruce and debutant Michael to add some sparkle to the game. The game continued to be fairly even with both sides finding themselves with scoring opportunities. The Margate keeper made some fine saves and at the other end Margate were only denied a second goal by the crossbar.


With time running out, BCS finally made their passing game count and a fine goal from Bruce and an even sweeter goal from new boy Michael saw BCS take the lead and with just a few minutes left to play, Martin came on to steady the ship and BCS ran out worthy winners. 


BCS vs Folkestone – 20th March

Score: 2-1

Scorers: Pete Candy, Ian

Squad: Nigel, Rob, Steve Earle, Kevin, Ian, Martin, Chris, Phil, Pete Candy, Michael, Paul


Folkestone only had 6 players, although we normally play 7-a-side on the fairly large 3G pitch at BayPoint. So, for the sake of fairness, it was agreed to play 6-a-side………….  Rob’s plan as captain was to play with a high intensity and let Folkestone tire out. We could tire and bring on subs, but they could not!


BayCity started brightly and after 5 minutes or so Peter Candy scored with a good shot, and a bit later Ian Syrett scored our second goal. Folkestone had a few chances, but these were either high and wide or capably saved by Nigel Brett in goal.  So, it was 2-0 at half time, and at the start of the second half Paul Lythe and Michael Farlam came on for Kevin Joyce and Ian. Paul managed to put himself about as usual, but he had to come off subsequently with a dead leg after a tackle on him.


The second half was fairly tight and BayCity were passing the ball around well from the back. Folkestone did however manage to pull a goal back 5 minutes from time. Nonetheless, BayCity kept cool heads and continued to largely keep possession or keep Folkestone at the other end of the pitch. Accordingly it finished BayCity 2 – Folkestone 1. A hard and well earned win.

(Match Report by Chris)



Herne Bay vs BCS – 29th March

Score: 3-1

Scorers: Chris

Squad: Nigel, Rob, Steve Earle, Kevin, Ian, Martin, Chris, Bruce, Michael, Paul


An away match against league leaders Herne Bay, although the venue looked very familiar!  Herne Bay had their ex-semi professional squad lined up against us…………. The first 10 minutes were fairly even with Herne Bay playing a high press and BayCity not being able to do much in the opposition half.


Herne Bay then scored with a low shot, which beat Nigel at the near post. This was followed fairly shortly after by a second after Nigel parried a shot, but the ball unfortunately squirmed over the line. Before half time it was 3-0 with a long distance high shot which dipped down just under the bar. It had clearly gone above head and crossbar height before entering the net, but then we have been given similar goals also…….


 Herne Bay had maintained a robust style of play throughout and one of their players was sin binned for a high challenge on Kevin, and ref McKellar was called in to action to calm down Rob and an opposition player. They shook hands afterwards……..  Despite battling valiantly in the first half, BayCity chances seem to have been limited to a Rob Rae distance shot, which the goalkeeper was able to push over the bar.


BayCity however were not downhearted by the scoreline, and in the second half keeping their shape well, began to draw a number of fouls from Herne Bay. This resulted in the sin bin for another player, and a second sin bin for the one sin binned in the first half!  With the temporary reduction of Herne Bay players on the pitch and BayCity playing well we were starting to create some chances. Indeed, a fine through ball from (I believe) Ian played Chris through on goal, and his low toe poke to the far post beat the keeper and nestled in the net. So now just 3-1 to Herne Bay.


Herne Bay now seemed content to try and play the ball around at the back and back to their keeper, which they did well. Accordingly their shots on our goal in the second half were limited to about one – the same as ours in the first half.  Herne Bay were however rattled a bit and complained at every decision given against them……….which seemed strange as they were clearly fouls against the rules of Walking Football, and indeed they were also winning!


BayCity were however unable to add to their 1 goal and the match finished 3-1 to Herne Bay. We might have lost, but then we did our best against a very good team who have played at a far higher level of football than any of us.

(Match Report by Chris)



Margate Old Blues vs BCS – 20th March

Score: 4-3

Scorers: Pete Candy (2), Rob

Squad: Steve, Rob, Kevin, Pete Candy, Ian, Chris, Bruce, Steve Earle



This was the last league game of the season for BCS over 50s and a strong squad was assembled as a win was badly needed after the disappointment of the game against Herne Bay. The corresponding fixture against Margate Old Blues at the BayPoint Arena was a tight game and so it proved to be again in the foreboding cages at Hartsdown Park. In difficult conditions BCS started with Rob and Kevin on the bench and although the first half was evenly contested, with both teams falling foul of the strict ‘no running’ rule applied by the referee, BCS found themselves 2-0 down at the break.


With the weather worsening and monsoon like rain falling, Rob and Kevin came on for the second half and with determined play BCS scored three quick goals and were ahead for the first time. Goal scorers were Pete Candy with two goals and Rob with a cracking shot that cruelly bounced off the goalkeeper’s head and into the goal (they all count though!). Margate were rocking by this point but they managed to score their third goal almost directly from the kick off, so 3-3 with just minutes to play. Kevin thought he’d put BCS back in front with a beautifully taken goal, only to see it ruled out for off the ball running! Harsh but them’s the rules!


With the clock ticking down, Margate managed to squeeze a shot in on the break and score their decisive fourth goal and despite BCS pressure and a few close shots, the game ended at 4-3. Well played Margate and well played BCS, a disappointing end to the season but a great season nonetheless.


















Steve Woodward

1 Response

  1. Pingback : BayCity Strollers Walking Football » BayCity Strollers: Kent Walking Football League Results & Reports 2018-19

Leave a Reply